Bring Your Own Device – Student Policy
Use of certain devices is permitted at Swainsboro High School as described below. Electronic devices are classified as disruptive, non-disruptive, and mobile phone devices. Permissibility of each type of device is described as follows:
Disruptive Electronic Devices
1. Recording devices, radios, pagers, laser pointers, and other electronic devices are deemed distracting to the educational environment. As such, these devices are not permitted in any area of SHS.
· Use of cameras on non-disruptive devices and cell phones to take still pictures or video is not permitted on school grounds, including transportation, unless under the direct supervision of a classroom teacher, counselor, or administrator.
2. The misuse of permissible electronic devices in a manner distracting to other students or school personnel is not allowed. The misuse of electronic devices includes, but is not limited to:
· Use of any electronic device in a classroom or other area of SHS not authorized by school personnel.
· Listening to video or audio (this includes use of ear buds or ear phones).
3. Ear buds and earphones may not be used or worn in any hallway or commons area between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
1. Non-disruptive devices are defined as electronic devices primarily used for educational purposes.
2. The categories of non-disruptive devices are (a) laptops, (b) net books, (c) tablets, & (d) e-readers.
3. These devices may be used:
a. During classroom instruction and in the Media Center as permitted and directed by school personnel.
b. During an approved privilege period as permitted and directed by school personnel.
1. Use of cellular phones (including smart phones) for the purpose of text or voice communication is not permitted during school hours.
2. Cellular phones may only be used as directed by school personnel. Otherwise, cellular phones are to be turned off or muted during school hours.
Consequences of inappropriate use of electronic devices
1st offense – Device confiscated for 2 school days.
2nd offense – Device confiscated for 5 school days.
3rd offense – Device confiscated for 10 school days.
4th offense – Device confiscated for the remainder of the school year.
· Refusal to relinquish a device violating this policy will result in an automatic Class II offense.
· SHS is not responsible for the theft, damage, or loss of a device brought to campus.
Students must have an acceptable use policy signed and on file at SHS. Students may connect to the internet using their internet provider.
Lost or Damage Device
SHS assumes no responsibility for theft, loss, or damage of an electronic device brought to school. Students bring these devices to school at their own risk.
Theft is a crime of opportunity! Students are directed not to leave their Smartphone or any other electronic device unattended. Putting one of these items on a table, in a class, etc. and walking away invites theft. Taking one of these items to the gym and placing it on the bleachers, in a book bag or in an unsecured locker invites theft. SHS administrators receive reports daily of thefts due to the owner of these items leaving them unattended. DO NOT LEAVE THESE ITEMS UNATTENDED! SHS staff routinely warns students they must keep an eye on their electronic devices. It takes less than a minute for a theft to occur.